Age Grade Review
Post Date: 10th April 2017
The age grade rugby review concerns all clubs who provide age grade rugby and confirms the procedures for age grade tours consent. We know that clubs take safeguarding seriously but following a number of high profile incidents elsewhere we want to take the opportunity to remind clubs of the procedures around tour consents.
- Clubs must seek prior consent from Middlesex before undertaking any age grade tour either inside the United Kingdom or anywhere else in the world.
- A “tour” is defined as any trip away from the home ground that involves one or more overnight stays.
- Clubs should seek consent by completing the RFU consent template and forwarding it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The template is available at
- A copy of the club’s risk assessment specific to the tour is to be provided with the application.
- The application should be signed by an authorised officer of the club, being either the Secretary, Chairman or President.
- Applications for consent should be submitted no later than 21 days before the tour commences.
- Clubs should ensure they are aware of differences in approach to rugby particularly in overseas clubs. For instance this might include any potential law variations or different age bandings. Clubs should also ensure they communicate with the opposition to ensure a balanced and safe match. This should be considered in the risk assessment.
Please note that these requirements take effect immediately.
Should you have any queries please direct them to either:
Derek Renton, Safeguarding Manager, Middlesex Rugby: email@example.com or
Gavin Hindley, Chairman of Governance, Middlesex Rugby: firstname.lastname@example.org