Age Grade Rugby
Following a four year review of rugby for under 18’s, led by the RFU, in consultation with a wide cross section of the game, Age Grade Rugby has now rolled out across the game and is aimed at providing player-centred, development-driven and competition-supported rugby for all.
The needs of young people are at its heart and it puts player enjoyment above all else to keep more young people enjoying the game for longer and into their adult years.
To ensure that all volunteers involved in the U18s game fully understand the changes, Middlesex Rugby will be running two further Age Grade Rugby workshops as a follow up to the workshops we ran in May/June 2016. The first is for volunteers involved in Mini Rugby (U7-U12) and the second for those involved in Junior Boys and Girls Rugby (U13-U18). Both workshops will run on two dates and will discuss how clubs are finding the changes and look at finding solutions to any problems as well as covering off some different coaching techniques and approaches.
Workshops will run on the following dates:
Mini Age Grade Rugby:
Monday 7th November at Teddington RFC 6.30pm for 7pm start
Wednesday 9th November at Wasps FC 6.30pm for 7pm start
Junior Age Grade Rugby:
Thursday 1st December at Saracens Amateurs 6.30pm for 7pm start
Monday 5th December at London Welsh 6.30pm for 7pm start.
All coaches, team managers, section chairs and those involved with the different agegroups are invited to attend these free workshops.
To ensure that you are fully informed of the changes to Age Grade Rugby, please read the updated Regulation 15 and the Age Grade Rugby Guidance.
Click on the image above to download the RFU Age Grade brochure as a pdf
Some of the major changes include:
· Girls can no longer play with boys in the U12s age group. Instead they will need to join U13 girl’s teams. If your club does not have a provision for U13 girls please contact Community Rugby chair Louise Latter or your RDO about how to set up a team or which is your nearest club that caters for U13 girls. It is important that we encourage girls to continue their rugby
· U13 and U14 boys will no longer play in leagues. The Herts and Middlesex Junior Leagues will still administer the U13 and U14 structure. For more information www.hertsmiddxleagues.co.uk
· As of September 2016, there will be NO streaming in Mini Rugby within Middlesex Rugby i.e. no A or B teams in U7 – U12 age groups. All clubs and teams are encouraged to adopt a fully inclusive, mixed-ability, balanced team structure
· Middlesex Rugby has developed the ‘Festival Framework’ which clubs will be expected to sign up to and adhere to. Clubs wishing to host the Middlesex Mini Festivals in March will be expected to be signed up to the Old Mutual Wealth Kids First Rugby programme. For more details visit:
· Clubs wishing to host their own Mini Rugby festivals MUST obtain approval from Middlesex Rugby, as your Constituent Body, and agree to follow the Festival Framework. Please contact Louise Latter or Waheed Aslam for approval – contact details below.
· The U12 league competition has changed slightly to conform to Age Grade Rugby. The new Festival rules are attached for your reference
Middlesex Rugby will be running some further workshops for mini and junior rugby during the season. Details of these will be circulated to clubs and published on the website.
Middlesex Minis Festivals
Middlesex Rugby has produced framework and guidance documents for running County Festivals and Middlesex U12 Festival Rules. Please ensure you are familiar with these if you are planning to run a festival.
For further information about the changes to Age Grade Rugby please contact Middlesex Rugby chair of the Community Rugby Committee Louise Latter, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or minis chairman Waheed Aslam, email: email@example.com
Full details about Age Grade Rugby are on the RFU website.
Age Grade resources
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 1 Under 7s rules of play (tag rugby)
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 2 Under 8s Rules of Play (Tag Rugby)
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 3 Under 9s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact)
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 4 Under 10s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact)
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 5 Under 11s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact)
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 6 Under 12s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact ) Boys only
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 7 Under 13s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact) Boys only
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 8 Under 14s Rules of Play (Transitional Contact) Boys only
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 9 U15-U18 Variations to the World Rugby Laws of the Game – Boys only
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 10 U13s Rules of Play Girls Only
RFU Age Grade Rugby Regulation 15 Appendix 11 U15-U18 Variations to the World Rugby Laws of the Game – Girls Only
Attend the Age Grade Rugby Workshop
Please complete the form below to to book your place and indicate which workshop you would like to attend.
Please submit a separate form if people are attending different workshops. This form can be used for bulk bookings or for individual bookings. The workshops should last no longer than 2.5 hours.